Skip to main content

TEN Questions with A. L. Slade

1. Can you please introduce yourself and tell us something about your book "The Bloodshed Of The Betrayed"
Answer: My name is A. L. Slade (real name Amy), and I am the 17-year-old author of The Bloodshed Of The Betrayed, my debut fantasy fiction YA novel about an angel who falls in love with a human. My book is a diverse reimagining of angels and Heaven–Christianity–but with a few twists and more magical realism. My book boasts a diverse cast of characters, as the main characters are Asian and indigenous, and it includes representation for LGBTQ+ people to fight the rampant homophobia prevalent in Christianity. My book is a fast-paced romance fantasy YA, and it is the first in an anticipated series called The Mercy Chronicles and has so far had a widely positive reception!
2. When did you get the thoughts of writing this book? i read the blurb and it looks fantastic.
Answer: When I first got the idea for my book, it was in 2018, and I'd come across a picture of a statue of an angel. I got the idea that "what if angels turn to stone when they make contact with a human," and the main plot was derived from there! It took much more consideration and world-building to develop and bring the story to life, but it was a relatively straightforward and seemingly innocuous origin.

3. What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
Answer: Because I want to provide representation for people, I make sure I do immense research for the identities of my characters: for example, I made sure to do extensive research on Cree Indian Indigenous culture when writing and developing Magda (the main human character) and her family, because I wanted to make sure it was respectful, accurate and tasteful. I also researched the Canadian military for Oscar's character, and, of course, I had to do exhaustive research on Christianity and religious aspects in connection with angels, gods and Heaven. I don't have a determined amount of time researching books, but I definitely make sure the research I seek is credible, accurate, and extensive.

4. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Answer: One of the most surprising things I learned in creating my book was the intricacy of angelic rankings in Christianity and the complexity of the religion. Beforehand, I had no idea there were different rankings of angels beyond angels, archangels and seraphs, and even then, I knew very little. I'd have to say my research about Lucifer and Heaven, God, and angels proved the most surprising as there was still so much I didn't know yet.

5. Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
Answer: This is book one in a series, so this book is anticipated as a connection between multiple and will have many works connected to and set in the same universe as The Mercy Chronicles.

6. What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
Answer: My earliest experience learning language has power was when I first began reading the Percy Jackson series. Reading about kids with ADHD and dyslexia and having an openly gay character made me realize how much of an impact seeing that kind of representation had on me, someone who didn't feel represented or accepted based on my identity and mental illnesses. I felt heard, and I felt like I wasn't alone, and I knew what I wanted to do with my life was help others feel the same way.

7. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Answer: I try to be very active on social media, and I love interacting with my readers! So far, I've had an overwhelming amount of support and positive feedback, alongside many who are thanking me for telling this story and expressing the significance it has to them and how much they've enjoyed it and et cetera. That's what means the most to me as a writer: representing the underrepresented and giving people comfort and acceptance when they may lack it in their lives.

8. How would you express your journey as an Author?
Answer: My journey as a writer is still very young, as am I, but it has been a predominantly positive and maturing experience. I've been lucky enough to have had primarily encouraging and positive experiences with my peers and those I work with, and it's amazing how much hope that can provide. I've had so many people complimenting my works and supporting me that it makes me feel like I've finally found my place in the world and have the friends I didn't have growing up. 

9. What other things do you love than this writing?
Answer: One of my passions that rivals writing is art. As I designed my cover, that should come as no surprise. Still, I also have many other hobbies and interests, such as reading, listening to music, playing video games, singing and dancing (even though I'm terrible at both), and overall being with my friends and family and pets.

10. And last, What advice do you have for writers?
Answer: The biggest piece of advice I can offer to aspiring writers and authors is to TAKE YOUR TIME. My journey began with the idea that I need to release my work as soon as possible because it's more impressive and will be better received, and I'm a naturally impatient person, so that too. But please know that it's better to put all the work you can into your writing before releasing it than rushing to get it out and struggling to make alterations and adjustments. The world will wait for you. Take your time, because good work is better than fast work.

Book Review Link - Click here!

Link to buy this Book - Click here!

Author Instagram page - Click here!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEN Questions with Melissa Reeves

1. Can you please introduce yourself and tell us something about your book "And Then I Laughed" Answer:  My name is Melissa and I am a single widow of four young children who are my reason for everything I do. I love being creative and have loved to write since a young age. Introducing myself feels strange right now. I am still in the process of rediscovering who I am in the midst of being a widow and a mother, a journey I think all mothers face. I am much more interested in the company I keep than where I want to be. It doesn't matter where I go, as long as I am around people I love. I spent many years traveling, being very mobile and sometimes homeless so I enjoy my little house and the stability and coziness it gives my family. Maybe one day I will be open to exploring again, but for now I am enjoying the calm of four walls.  2. When did you get the thoughts of writing this book?  Answer:  This book, And Then I Laughed, is the culmination of a y

An Aunt's Animal Alphabet by Hailey Kathleen Hall

BOOK: An Aunt's Animal Alphabet AUTHOR: Hailey Kathleen Hall *My Ratings* : 4.3/5 ⭐  "An Aunt's Animal Alphabet" is a beautiful illustrated book by Hailey Kathleen Hall to help your children learn the English alphabet and identify animals around us . From the small hardworking ant to the playful puppy in the park, Through this book kids will get to know about different animals and their nature .This book has all elements from impressive hand_drawn illustrations to the catchy nursery rhymes. Parents and grandparents alike can have a great time reading this book with their loved ones.The beautiful illustrations will delight young children . Attractive images and large labels at each page help the child seek the animals faster. I must say that it is the most creative children's book that I have seen.Making it one that you and your child want to read again and again . Buy An Aunt's Animal Alphabet for your children to explore the world of animals! Avai

Stop being a Maggu! by Avinash Agarwal

BOOK: Stop being a Maggu! AUTHOR: Avinash Agarwal  *My Ratings* : 4.5/5 ⭐ Stop being a Maggu! By Avinash Agarwal is a book that through a sweet and sour story of a student and through the story the author tries to teach us the correct way to study and motivate students.  The story is about Abhyas, a student coming from a middle class family and being a single child carrying all the dreams and hopes of his family on his shoulders. He shifts to Kota, gets admission in the best coaching center and hopes to crack JEE and get into an IIT. But just getting into good coaching is not sufficient, he faces a lot of issues there and from being a topper to failing his first reshuffling test he goes through a lot.  His friends Lakshya, Ananya and Chunky help him out and specially Abhimanyu Bhaiya becomes his mentor and guides him to the correct way of studying and through their help he tries to excel. Will he be able to do this? Will he be able to match up to his and his parent's ex