Skip to main content

TEN Questions with Dena Merriam




1.I have read your Book "Rukmini and the Turning of Time: The Dawn of an Era" and I loved it. Can you tell us something more about her? 
Answer: I have told many stories about Rukmini Ma in the book. What is interesting to me is how Sita Ma and Rukmini Ma manifested different personalities to reflect the needs of the time in which they were born. Both are avatars of Narayani and yet like us, each incarnation manifests a different personality. During Sita Ma’s time, humankind was separating itself from the natural world, developing more of an individualistic consciousness and one of the things she sought to do was imbed in the human mind love for the natural world so that we wouldn’t destroy it. During Rukmini Ma’s time, there was a darkening of spiritual consciousness and much mistreatment of people toward each other – oppression of women, increasing caste distinctions, etc. – and this became her focus, trying to instill in the human mind care for each other. She worked tireless and endless to care for those in society most vulnerable as well as to help each person advance in their spiritual unfolding.

2. What inspired you to write a book on Rukmini, an important but long forgotten character? 
Answer: It was my love for Sita Ma that led me to Rukmini, knowing that she is the reborn Sita, just as Shri Krishna is the reborn Ram. I have always felt greater affinity with the Krishna of Dwarka than of Brindavan and wondered why there was not more written about life in Dwarka during his time. What is most touching to me is to see how these avatars impacted the personal lives of all with whom they came in contact. For sure, they influenced world events, but they came to help each one of us awaken, and that is real story behind their appearance in our world.  


3. Every author when writes a story wants to spread some message and views through it. So, what are the messages that you want to give to your readers through your books? 
Answer: There are many messages in this book but one is how the law of cause and effect works. What we do and think and aspire for in one life affects the next and then the next and so on. Often events from hundreds of years ago affect our life today. Rukmini and some of the other sages in this book help those individuals who have come to them, work through their karma and complete unfinished matters from the past. That is the true gift of an awakened one, to see the past and possible future of people and to guide us toward the best outcomes. The message is to not think of just this one life, this one personality, but to know that we have a long history behind us and a long future ahead. We can better direct that future if we begin to live more consciously.


4. There are many people who has just started on writing, what are your advice to them? 
Answer: My advice to new writers is to think deeply about the messages you want to convey. Most of us like to learn through stories rather than philosophical treatises. So think of stories that convey your message and make the people come alive. And give yourself time for inner reflection.

5. Can you tell us more about yourself? How you started your journey as an author?
Answer: As a young child, I wrote poetry but as a teenager my interest turned to spiritual matters and for a number of years I didn’t write. I spent my time learning to meditate and reading sacred texts. Then in my thirties I had to write for a living and I did some ghostwriting and writing for an art journal. After doing that for about ten or fifteen years, I began to write my own stories, stories that would convey key learnings that have come to me through my meditation.


6. What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
Answer: Most of my research comes through meditation, where the inspiration flows. But often I check myself by investigating what I have seen. Since there is very little information about earlier times, I have to trust my knowledge of sacred texts and what I see in meditation. But there is always some searching to confirm what I have seen.


7. How many books have you written? Which is your favourite?
Answer: I am just finishing my fifth book and will soon begin another one. I don’t have a favorite although the Untold Story of Sita holds a special place in my heart. But I cannot explain why. It is just that when writing it, I was there with Sita. But I can say the same about Rukmini and the Turning of Time. While writing it, I was in the presence of Rukmini Ma.


8. Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
Answer: My books are all connection because stories that are begun in one are continued and completed in another. There are many stories in Rukmini & the Turning of Time that relate back to the Untold Story of Sita. All of my writings are part of one continuous story and people who appear in one often appear in another in a new incarnation. My books speak extensively about rebirth and karma because if more people understood how these spiritual laws work, we would see a better world.

9. And last, What advice do you have for writers?
Answer: My advice to writers is to look inside oneself through meditation or some form of inner reflection. The stories are all within you. It is just a matter of discovering them. 


Book Review Link - Click here!

Link to buy this Book - Click here!

Author Instagram page - Click here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEN Questions with Melissa Reeves

1. Can you please introduce yourself and tell us something about your book "And Then I Laughed" Answer:  My name is Melissa and I am a single widow of four young children who are my reason for everything I do. I love being creative and have loved to write since a young age. Introducing myself feels strange right now. I am still in the process of rediscovering who I am in the midst of being a widow and a mother, a journey I think all mothers face. I am much more interested in the company I keep than where I want to be. It doesn't matter where I go, as long as I am around people I love. I spent many years traveling, being very mobile and sometimes homeless so I enjoy my little house and the stability and coziness it gives my family. Maybe one day I will be open to exploring again, but for now I am enjoying the calm of four walls.  2. When did you get the thoughts of writing this book?  Answer:  This book, And Then I Laughed, is the culmination of a y

An Aunt's Animal Alphabet by Hailey Kathleen Hall

BOOK: An Aunt's Animal Alphabet AUTHOR: Hailey Kathleen Hall *My Ratings* : 4.3/5 ⭐  "An Aunt's Animal Alphabet" is a beautiful illustrated book by Hailey Kathleen Hall to help your children learn the English alphabet and identify animals around us . From the small hardworking ant to the playful puppy in the park, Through this book kids will get to know about different animals and their nature .This book has all elements from impressive hand_drawn illustrations to the catchy nursery rhymes. Parents and grandparents alike can have a great time reading this book with their loved ones.The beautiful illustrations will delight young children . Attractive images and large labels at each page help the child seek the animals faster. I must say that it is the most creative children's book that I have seen.Making it one that you and your child want to read again and again . Buy An Aunt's Animal Alphabet for your children to explore the world of animals! Avai

Stop being a Maggu! by Avinash Agarwal

BOOK: Stop being a Maggu! AUTHOR: Avinash Agarwal  *My Ratings* : 4.5/5 ⭐ Stop being a Maggu! By Avinash Agarwal is a book that through a sweet and sour story of a student and through the story the author tries to teach us the correct way to study and motivate students.  The story is about Abhyas, a student coming from a middle class family and being a single child carrying all the dreams and hopes of his family on his shoulders. He shifts to Kota, gets admission in the best coaching center and hopes to crack JEE and get into an IIT. But just getting into good coaching is not sufficient, he faces a lot of issues there and from being a topper to failing his first reshuffling test he goes through a lot.  His friends Lakshya, Ananya and Chunky help him out and specially Abhimanyu Bhaiya becomes his mentor and guides him to the correct way of studying and through their help he tries to excel. Will he be able to do this? Will he be able to match up to his and his parent's ex